Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Life Lesson 15,002-Martha Stewart Doesn't Live Here

Life lesson 15,002.  Martha Stewart doesn't live here.  Honestly, haven't we all watched her show or picked up her magazine and thought, "How does she do it?".  I mean, the woman is a gourmet cook, interior designer, seamstress, farmer, landscape architect, has her own TV series and magazine, she does segments on all the morning shows and to top it all off she is a mom.  Okay, so her daughter is grown but still!  If Martha Stewart walked up to my front door, she would probably be appalled because my plants on the front porch are not lush. They look more like wilted shells of a formerly beautiful plant.  Oh and the cobwebs.  Who has time to pressure wash or even take the broom outside and whisk the cobwebs down?  Actually, who even thinks about cobwebs?  If Martha wasn't frightened away by the cobwebs and wilted plants and made it into the front door, she would probably turn and run when she came into the front entry.  Do you know that I still have scarves and winter hats hanging on my coat rack? Then my new rug is always askew even though I put down the slip-proof mat.  Then there is my horrid attempt at decorating.  I love all things Pottery Barn.  I just can't seem to make my home decor look as effortless as they do.  Anyway, if Martha came into my kitchen she would not find a freshly baked cake or cookies or pies or any other confection.  We do, however, have some Chips Ahoy cookies and Lay's potato chips. I bet Martha's house always smells of wonderful baked goods.  I bet Martha doesn't have cobwebs on her front porch.  I bet Martha's rug in her entry is not askew.  Oh and I bet Martha folds her scarves perfectly and puts them away into some perfectly arranged closet along with her coats and hats and mittens and winter boots and...Did I mention that Martha Stewart doesn't live here?

Our homes may not be as fabulously decorated or perfectly arranged or feverishly cleaned or smell of fresh baked cookies but I bet more people love me than love that perfect Martha Stewart.  My home is lived in.  My home is enjoyed.  My home is always open and welcomes my friends and family at any time.  If you don't mind the mess, then we don't mind having you.  There will be crumbs on the floor.  There will be mail piled on the desk in the kitchen. There will be a dish in the sink. There will be cobwebs and untidy scarves on my coat rack.  We actually LIVE here.  Our children won't remember how clean our house was but they will remember how much fun they had here.  Let's not feel guilty if we don't have a meat, 3 vegetables, a bread and a fresh baked dessert for dinner tonight.  We can have PB&J's and be happy.  Let's not feel guilty if we don't have the silver polished. (The 2 pieces that I have are probably very tarnished.  I never use them so I wouldn't know!!) Let's eat off of paper plates and enjoy the company that we have! If you use the wrong fork, I don't care.  I won't even check to see if you did!

Martha Stewart doesn't have anything on me!  I could probably teach her a thing or two.  Hey Martha, take a nap!!  Sit down and read a book.  Watch some trashy reality TV.  Enjoy life.  It doesn't last long.

1 comment: