Monday, August 20, 2012

Life Lesson #15,001

Since I have been alive for more than 15,000 days and "they" say that you learn something new every day, I'm starting my blog at 15,001.  My Life Lesson for today is this:  It is just as important to be a good friend as it is for your friends to be good friends to you.  If you are like me you have hundreds of "Friends" on Facebook.  You may be feeling pretty good about yourself with all of those "Friends".  If you are like me, you have had something sad, happy or exciting happen to you in the past year.  Think about how many of those "Friends" were there to cry with you, laugh with you, cheer with you, cook dinner for you, keep children for you or even just offer to do something for you.  If your answer is all 899 of your "Friends" then I want to know your secret. If you said maybe 3 of your 899 "Friends", you are probably normal.  Now think about how many of those 899 "Friends" have you done things for in the past year?  Again, if you said 3, you are probably normal. Now, why is that?  By definition a "Friend" is a person whom one knows, likes and trusts. A "Friend" is also someone who supports and holds mutual affection for the other person. The simple truth is that most of us really only have less than 10 good friends.

Last summer my stepmother was dying with lung cancer.  Several of my "good friends" kept my son or made dinner for my family while I was out of town.  One of my friends even came and picked up my laundry.  Now that is being a friend!!  I have had a chance to reciprocate for most every person who was there for me last year.  I hope that I was as good of a friend to them as they were to me.  It is important to be a good friend even when our friends disappoint us.  I was actually shocked and amazed by many of my "friends" last year. Some who I was sure would be there for me didn't even send a text to say that they were very sorry for my loss.  Some who I was sure would send me a text, actually came to my stepmother's funeral.  Her funeral was 40 minutes away from where we live. I will just take you back to that day for a minute.  I am sitting with my family and I look over to my left side and all of my girlfriends are taking up the first 2 rows of the church pews.  Some of them took the day off of work.  Some of them came home early from vacation.  To know that I had 2 full rows of friends there for me meant more to me than any of them will ever know. I have always said that if you want to know who your true friends are, #1 Have a baby. #2 Get sick. #3 Have a loved one die. 

Let's don't wait for events to happen in our "friends" lives.  Let's be good friends to each other even when we don't "need" each other.  You never know how much it will mean to someone just to get that affirmation of your friendship.  Don't wait until something bad happens to be a friend.

8 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head with that one! If you don't mind I may share this with our womens group when we have our retreat in a few weeks~ Thanks for sharing your 15,001 day of wisdom :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I would be honored to have you share this. Thank you Missy.

      Delete
  2. Absolutely beautifully said Colette! I often think back to when my daddy died and am reminded of the things that surprised me about my friends and my "friends"... "Close" friends who I'd taken special time for when they were going thru something wonderful or painful who I didn't hear from for *months* after Daddy passed because they "didn't know what to say"... ummmm how about saying *something*, ANYTHING... A loving word, a remembrance of Daddy, a prayer... and then there were those who seemed to come out of nowhere.... who I'd not talked to in months or seen in years who called or showed up (or even texted) because they *knew* how devastating Daddy's loss would be for me. The friends from Pageland who promised to drop by or "check in" on Mama and Ma once I had to return to Virginia and Chip to Florida (and they actually DID). What you gave said about friendship is so true - and sometimes we learn that lesson painfully. I'm glad that, though most all of our contact anymore IS thru facebook, you are one whom I may count as a friend, not a "friend"... a friend once told me something I didn't *really* "get" until I lost Daddy - when you count your blessing count your family and your *real* friends twice. Thanks for the reminder...
    xoxo
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erin. Not all of these will be serious and heartwarming so I look forward to your comments on my not so serious blog!! Let me know what you think!!

      Delete
  3. Great words to start your blog! And you are so right... Good friends are hard to find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan. You are so right. Good friends are so hard to find. I think you are blessed if you have 5 really good friends!!

      Delete
  4. Colette, this is precious and I love it. We greatly appreciate your love and support during our time of need. Your advice and guidance to me has been equally appreciated during this time. I am truly honored to have you as a "true" friend. This is a great way to start your blog. Love you girl! Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for being a true friend to me too. You have been there for me when I needed you and I hope that you can say the same about me. Love you too!

      Delete