Friday, September 21, 2012

Life Lesson #15,023-Criticizing Doesn't help Any Situation

Life Lesson #15,023-Criticizing Doesn't Help Any Situation

"Before you criticize anyone, walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."~Jack Hadley 

Oh my goodness! This is so hard to do.  Some people use the word "criticize" and some people use the word "judge".  There is a fine line between lovingly pointing out a fault in someone that needs pointing out to them and criticizing too harshly.  And then there is the whole "shooting the messenger" thing. It may start something like this: 
Me:  (to my housekeeper)  Umm. I think you maybe forgot to sweep, mop and dust the dining room.  It's okay. Totally fine but I just wanted to let you know so you can get it better next time.
Housekeeper:  I certainly did sweep, mop and dust the dining room.  I totally remember doing it.
Me:  No, you didn't but it is fine.  I just wanted to let you know.
Housekeeper:  Yes, I did.  I wiped it all down really well and I know I did. I can't believe that you would think that I missed an entire room.
Me:  Well if you're telling me that you did clean this room, I am going to fire you right now because you could write your name in the dust and there were cat hair balls all over the floor 2 seconds after you walked out the door. 
Housekeeper:  Well I did.
Me:  Fine.  You're fired.
Housekeeper:  Fine.

See what I mean?  It starts out as pointing out something that is so small and we all know that accidents happen and mistakes are made so there is no need to explode after such a small comment was made, especially when you are the one who is 100% wrong.  I mean really!  My housekeeper sure does point out when something is left on the floor or it just gets vacuumed around!! Seriously!!

Anyway, my point is maybe I should have just left it alone and not said anything.  I mean, I cleaned the room and vacuumed after they left so it did get done.  No big deal but I had PAID someone else to do it and I feel like it should have been done. I really wasn't trying to criticize, judge or whatever but I just wanted to point out that there was a mistake made. So what should we do when something needs pointing out? 

What if you have a dear friend who is being talked about all over town and you feel like you need to tell that person because you love them?  Will the conversation end like the housekeeping conversation did?  Is it worth losing the friend to "save" them from themselves?  What to do?  What to do?? Scroll to the bottom...



make little time for criticizing others...
Problem solved.  I'll just keep it to myself and let others worry about themselves and I will just worry about me.  Lord knows I need some improving upon!!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment