Thursday, January 31, 2013

Lesson #15,103-I Had To Ask!!

Okay, so I asked a question on my Facebook page.  The question that I asked was "What did your Mama use to whoop your butt with?".  The number one answer was a hairbrush!!  I was shocked!  Being from The South, I was certain that the number one answer would be a flip flop!!  If you have ever been swatted with a flip flop, you know what that sting feels like.  Some of us got swatted with a fly swatter.  Some of us got swatted with a wooden spoon.  Some of us just got a regular ole swat with the hand!!  Either way, we all got whooped!!  Not one person said "My Mama didn't whoop me" or "I got Time Out when I was a kid".  Nope, not one person!! 
Roxy Mimosa III Flip Flop #VonMaur
Why is it that none of us ever got "Time Out"?  I can tell you why!!  These kids nowadays have a darn (800) number to call if they get whooped!  Why didn't we have an (800) number to call?  I mean, my Mama pulled her car over on the side of the road and whooped my butt right there on the highway!  She didn't try to hide the fact that she was whooping me!  She didn't wait until we got home.  She did it right there in public!  On the side of the road!!  Of course, I don't think I ever sassed her again.  I knew better.
"I found this adorable “time out” chair this morning. How cute is that?! If a home needs a place for time out, don’t you think it should be cute!?!" - by our blogger Deb
My husband told me a story about when he was young and he and his brothers were fighting in the car.  His Dad had enough of the boys being loud and trying to kill each other so he pulled the car over on the highway and made all of them get out and he drove away.  Luckily, his Mother was in the car and after about 15 minutes she made his Dad go back and pick them up!  My husband wasn't raised here in The United States but he said that they didn't have an (800) number to call either! 
Old telephone by Kristof Claes, via Flickr
These kids today are so lucky to have that (800) number!!  I have a feeling that if we all had that (800) number when we were kids, none of us would have had any parents!!  We all would have been raised by Foster Parents!  Okay, so I am not talking about real abuse.  I am talking about a few pops on the rear end when we deserved it.  Honestly, I can remember just the fear of the paddle that hung in the office of the school keeping me out of trouble.  We used to hear rumors about being paddled by the principal at school.  I remember hearing the "horror" stories.  Someone said that the paddle had holes in it.  This was supposed to make it sting more because it could travel faster through the air on the way to your butt!!  There was also a rumor about how the principal would wet the paddle to make it sting against your skin.  I swear that I only remember one person ever getting a paddling in school but his stories were so scary that the rest of us behaved ourselves in class so we didn't have to get paddled!!
Handcrafted large walnut wood serving paddle board $87.99
So, what did your Mama or Daddy whoop you with??  Did you ever get paddled in school??  Can y'all believe that I never got paddled in school?  That's probably what's wrong with me today!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment